Directors are ambassadors for Western Carolina University and critical leaders in
helping the Alumni Association implement the University’s strategic initiatives by
actively engaging in four key pillars: Lead, Give, Connect, Engage.
Expectations for members of the Alumni Board of Directors:
- Support engagement efforts within local Subcommittee by attending gatherings and
mentoring regional alumni leaders.
- Promote strategic University and Alumni Association programs and initiatives.
- Act as a liaison and initiate engagement between the Subcommittee and the University.
- Foster a culture of engagement and philanthropy by promoting University programs
and annual fund solicitations through social media feeds.
- Help to develop a pipeline of emerging Alumni leaders
- Support WCU philanthropically by donating a recommended annual contribution.
- Endeavor to increase your giving by making a multiyear pledge or planned gift to
establish a permanent legacy.
- Help to secure resources that will ensure the continuing success of the University.
- Serve as a host or sponsor for University gatherings on campus and across the country
to receive gift-in-kind recognition from the University.
- Purchase a University license plate for your vehicle(s), if applicable. License plates
are available in North Carolina.
- Be an active ambassador and advocate of the WCU Alumni Association.
- Assist in developing strong relationships with the Alumni in your region.
- Introduce the University to potential alumni who are not engaged or giving to the
- Nominate candidates for volunteer leadership positions within the Alumni Board.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled Alumni Board of Directors meetings
(typically three meetings per year for a ½ day each).
- Mentor students and young alumni.
Any member of the WCU Alumni Association may nominate candidates of their choice provided
the candidate meets requirements for membership of the association.
For information on candidate requirements, contact the Engagement Office.
Constitution and ByLaws
Current Board of Directors
Gerald Austin ’64
Beverly Barr ’72
Todd Blosser ’94
Jim Buchanan ’83
Eddie Burks ’83
John Connett ’92
Keith Elliott ’69
Vicky Faris ’66
Dick Freeman ’83
Myra Grant ’70
Darrin Hempill ’93
Allison Hinson ’02 - President
George Hudson ’88
Barbara Hyde ’76
Heather Jones ’06
Barry Karesh ’86
Kam McDonald ’01
Julia McManus ’90
Phil McManus ’88
Kate Oelslager ’06
Darius Ramsey ’16
Cindi Simmons ’82
Lizzy Thier ’09
Mitch Treadway ’83
Tyler Tyndall ’15
Tommy White ’87
Celina Woods ’85
Kristen Wright ’08