Office assistants play an integral role in the efficient functioning of the Writing
and Learning Commons (WaLC). Students who are chosen to work as office assistants
have an opportunity to develop and to practice communication, organization, time management,
and other professional skills that will benefit them in life beyond college.
If you are interested in applying to work as an office assistant, please review carefully
the following responsibilities and qualifications. An applicant's signature on the
Employment Application indicates their agreement to carry out these responsibilities.
Office Assistant Responsibilities
- Maintain a friendly and helpful attitude while greeting and assisting all WaLC visitors.
- Work with a team of other office assistants to provide excellent customer service
and seamless coverage for the WaLC's front desk.
- Participate in ongoing office assistant training.
- Use the Navigate scheduling system to schedule/cancel tutoring appointments.
- Provide timely, courteous notifications to tutors when changes need to be made to
- Answer the phone and take detailed messages from callers and visitors.
- Adhere to a regular work schedule. Arrive to work on time and communicate with supervisor
and with co-workers if a schedule change needs to be made.
- Check Catamount email regularly and respond within 24 hours to work-related emails.
- Respond within 12 hours to work-related phone calls.
- Maintain confidential student information.
- Monitor students’ use of WaLC resources.
- Be knowledgeable about the operations of the Mathematics Tutoring Center in order
to provide information to visitors.
- Perform closing duties if working until 9:00 pm.
- Help to keep the WaLC clean and uncluttered.
- Uphold the WaLC's Code of Ethics.
- Comply with and enforce the WaLC’s policies for students.
Qualifications for Employment
In order to be eligible for an office assistant position in the WaLC, the student
- Be approved for a work-study allocation from the Financial Aid Office.
- Be available to work at least 3 daytime hours (i.e. 8:00 am – 5:00 pm) as well as
some evening hours (i.e. 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm).
- Maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA.