Skip to main content

Residential EMC Program FAQs

To enter the Residential EMC Program, you must have completed at least 60 hours of college credit, with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5. You must also have completed all of the pre-professional courses (BIOL 291, BIOL 292, EMC 240, EMC 241, and 2 semesters of chemistry).

No, you must be admitted to the university and complete the Residential EMC Program Requirements.

Upon completion of all requirements for graduation, you will be awarded the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Emergency Medical Care. You also will have a concentration in one of two areas: Science (Pre-Med) or Health Management.

The Health Management (HSM) concentration is a series of courses designed to prepare the student to assume leadership roles in EMS administration. Graduates of this track have pursued careers as EMS directors, EMS training officers, hospital administrators, and EMS consultants.

The Science/Pre-Med concentration consists of courses in physics, chemistry, and biology. This concentration prepares students to enter into paramedic education or research, or to continue their education through medical school, PA school, or graduate school.

Yes. Your credits will be transferred to WCU based upon existing articulation agreements, credit by experience, or both.

Yes. Current paramedic practitioners who are graduates of associate degree or certificate programs will find transfer and advanced-standing mechanisms available for establishing credit towards the bachelor’s degree.

To complete the degree in four years you must average 16 credit hours each semester.

A new class begins every fall semester. Enrollment is limited and students are encouraged to apply by February 15 each year to be considered for early admission. Applications for late admission must be received no later than May 1.

Yes. All students (with the exception of currently certified paramedic transfer students) must complete clinical rotations at hospitals, emergency departments, and dialysis centers, as well as rural, suburban, and urban EMS systems. Optional rotations also are available at two helicopter EMS services for students interested in pursuing careers as flight paramedics and the burn center.

International Students 

If you are a transferring from another institution, you will need to obtain an enrollment letter by emailing the International Admissions Counselor at Please be sure all final transcripts have been sent to the WCU Admissions office.

Yes, this is how we will determine if you have completed all of the pre-professional courses needed for EMC entry requirements.

You will need to contact the International Admission Counselor at

You will need to contact the International Admissions Counselor at for the proper steps.

Office of Web Services